We are artisan gardeners based in Highgate, London.
Poppy Mercer undertook formal training at her Majesties pleasure in Regents Park and Eltham Palace back the 1990’s – having had an affinity with plants all her life. After achieving a distinction in her NVQ she was asked to contribute to the RHS dictionary for the genus Amaryllidaceae . She started a commercial company in 1997 installing hundreds of gardens mainly in North London.
In the febrile commercial world of what passes for gardeners, Poppy is the real thing. She says it is just a matter of doing the right thing at the right time, or to put it in management speak, ‘micro-managing all the interconnected systems and processes into a configuration that creates ongoing maximum performance. ‘
Her greatest pleasure is the challenge of turning a dying garden around.
- 2008-2014 Manager, Green Spirit Gardens in Highgate London. . Garden Management, design and consultancy. Monetized writer on garden and lifestyle topics for Squidoo and other platforms
- 1997-2008 Manager, Positive Earth Ltd Garden design and Installation company based in Highgate Increased turnover from 40k in 1996 to 250k in 2007 Designed and managed approx 300 installations, directing staff of 5 -10
- 1991-1997 Manager, LVM Gardens Established her first company in Crouch End, North London
- 1992-Contributor to RHS Dictionary (Specialism: Amaryllidaceae)
- 1986–1991 Queen Mary’s Rose Garden, Royal Parks Grade 1 Gardener (3 year apprenticeship) City & Guilds in amenity horticulture with distinction. RHS General Certificate In charge of alpine island & alpine propagation.
- 1972-1998 Studied Buddhism under John Garrie Roshi whilst living and learning about self sufficiency and alternative lifestyles.
- Other work: Piano Teacher.
- Interests: Geomancy, Hedge Witchery, Music, Medieval history and Animal Welfare.
“In whatever I do I like to combine intuition, aesthetics and practical skills.”
Gerry Feeny is co-manager at Green Spirit. Although his days of heavy-duty hardlandscaping are behind him ( he is now in his late sixties) he still relishes the routine maintenance duties being happiest in a garden and continues to specialise in Irrigation systems