For the past 38 years Poppy has been in working as a gardener – meaning a garden designer, garden installer and plantaswoman -while much of that time also running and training a team of English and antipodean landscapers.
Today things are stripped down to a far less pressured regime where Poppy just continues with a couple of her fonder gardens for love rather than money.
That means really this website is defunct …but we keep it here as a memorilal of her main work phase
The gardeners path
Green -fngered all he life, Poppy only became a professional at age 30 by badgering the head gardener at Regents Park . She started with the lowliest jobs but avidly absorbed all the facets of this ancient and venerable craft . The Royal Parks send her to Eltam Palace to complete her NvQ which she passed with distinction.
After leaving, he first job was to work for the RHS dictionary on the genus Amaryllidaceae. Soon after she launched a commercial company in 1997 and proceeded to create and restore hundreds of gardens – mainly in London.
For her gardening is “just a matter of doing the right thing at the right time ”
- 2008-2014 Manager, Green Spirit Gardens in Highgate London. . Garden Management, design and consultancy. Monetized writer on garden and lifestyle topics for Squidoo and other platforms
- 1997-2008 Manager, Positive Earth Ltd Garden design and Installation company based in Highgate Increased turnover from 40k in 1996 to 250k in 2007 Designed and managed approx 300 installations, directing staff of 5 -10
- 1991-1997 Manager, LVM Gardens Established her first company in Crouch End, North London
- 1992-Contributor to RHS Dictionary (Specialism: Amaryllidaceae)
- 1986–1991 Queen Mary’s Rose Garden, Royal Parks Grade 1 Gardener (3 year apprenticeship) City & Guilds in amenity horticulture with distinction. RHS General Certificate In charge of alpine island & alpine propagation.
- 1972-1998 Studied Buddhism under John Garrie Roshi whilst living and learning about self sufficiency and alternative lifestyles.
- Other work: Piano Teacher.
- Interests: Geomancy, Hedge Witchery, Music, Medieval history and Animal Welfare.
“In whatever I do I like to combine intuition, aesthetics and practical skills.”
Gerry Feeny is the director of Green Spirit gardens. His speciaslity is in structures and is an irrigation specialist.